Friday 30 April 2010

Step 1: Finding Interested People and Helping Hands

Since the training weekend I have been in exam mode, so while not as much has been done as I'd like I've done about as much as expected.

The big thing that's got me excited is that after sending out an email to Hull York med students (a pretty vague one basically saying 'who's interested in climate change and might possibly be interested in helping me out with a project I'm doing?') 30 people (i.e. 3-4% of the student body), some from every year, have replied. Which is great. So now there is a list of interested people who have offered to help me with things should I need it, but also I now know that a lot of students want to help. If I can get that across to local management then hopefully we can get more done- numbers matter and all that.

With the help of Frances I've found out that one of our lecturers is looking into the PHEMS thing. He's really enthusiastic about getting an SSC up and running for September and has offered me his support in it. So that's exciting. There is already a general environment-based SSC at HYMS so the plan is to get the leader of that one involved and Frances also put me in touch with a foundation year doctor in York who is interested.

SDL is on hold but I'm itching to get stuck in. Once I finish for summer in 4 weeks my first priorities will be getting some background and policy reading done and also arranging some meetings (via David) with local NHS bods to find out what can be done practically, and run some ideas by them.

So yes, still enthusiastic. Plodding along. Doing OK I think.

All the best,

Jess

1 comment:

  1. PS- I wanted to copy & paste or upload my statement of action but can't- anyone know how?

    ReplyDelete