Wednesday 28 April 2010

The first blog...of many

My name is Philippa and I'm currently a third year medical student at Sheffield University. I intercalated last year at Leeds University in an International Health Bsc.

I chose to apply for this programme for a number of reasons. Firstly, I feel a social responsibility to my own and future generations to work towards a more sustainable way of living. Furthermore, as a future employee of the NHS I would like their evidence-based ideals to encompass the proven effects of climate change on health, and the need for carbon reduction and sustainable development. Another major factor that motivates me is the opportunity to greatly expand my knowledge and understanding of the ecological, political and economic aspects of climate change.

I learnt a great deal from the training weekend. I realised that our programmes are going to be hugely diverse, depending upon the trust's response as well as our own personal interests. A crucial point I will take home with me is the need to stress that carbon reduction strategies within the NHS do not mean compromising on patient care but rather aim to further improve the quality of the service. The evident enthusiasm for change, held by everyone there, was great to witness and be part of, and I am really looking forward to the future contact we have together.

As a medical student I feel that I am more fitted to working within the clinical aspects of this programme because of past practical experience within the clinical setting. Programme transformations such as the nephrology example given by Frances, have great power to motivate others, and to be used as positive examples of successful carbon reduction strategies in terms of both financial and quality of service benefits. I am also interested in engaging health professionals into the 10:10 agreements. However, I am equally aware of the importance of 'top-down' changes in policy if we are to achieve long-term and significant carbon reduction restructuring.

I am still undecided as to which particular approach will be my focus, or whether I could effectively use aspects of both policy and clinical practice approaches. Within the clinical setting I am interested in the development of a G.P. 10:10 tool and engaging G.P.s with this. For the next 7 weeks I am on a G.P. Placement and so can use this to gage their interest and current progress in the matter. If a transformation programme appears to be a viable option within Sheffield, I would be interested in its application to mental health. Regarding the managerial and policy approach, I am particularly interested to look into the food and catering aspect of the trust's procurement carbon footprint and see whether this could be, or is planned to be part of the trust's own carbon reduction strategy.

So my plan for the next 2 weeks is:
· Contact David Pencheon about the meeting he is holding with the Sheffield G.P.s in the near future and hopefully attend this. Also ask if he knows who is responsible for food procurement in Sheffield NHS.
· Contact Francis to let her know I'm interested in preparing and piloting a GP 10:10 tool
· Get in touch with other interested students in Sheffield to form a working team

No comments:

Post a Comment